sam-n-me

sam-n-me
in it together

Saturday, March 27, 2010

spoiled at 3am

What to do in the middle of the night. This little man of mine continues to grow and apparently requires the calories to support the effort. I suspect I've done what several books have warned me about. I have, according to brilliant researchers, spoiled my son into thinking the only way to fall asleep is after he's nursed. But this only seems to be the case at 3am. Something about 3am wakes up this sleepy baby. The books tell me its not hunger. (They've never met Sam but seem to know this beyond a shadow of a doubt) He needs to learn to settle himself. Then it occurs to me 'Sam does settle himself'. He ofen wakes up, sighs, changes position and goes back to sleep. Even if I didn't hear him I'd know this to be true. I put Sam down near the left end of the crib lengthwise. I find him in the morning at the right end of the crib, widthwise. I suspect he was able to settle himself several times and in several positions throughout the night in order to travel this distance.
The challenge with motherhood at this phase is that the only individual who can tell me what the right and wrong answers are is Sam. I must, therefore, theorize what this little baby might be thinking. I sometimes put myself in his place, in his crib, unable to get out on my own... Its dark, I'm awake. I am wet/ hungry/ lost my soother. Its very quiet. I'm so sleepy but can't make myself sleep... Some milk would be good right now. Where did that soother go? This is so frustrating! I'm going to need mommy for this. "moooooommmmm". What's taking her so long? What could she be doing that's SO important. It can't be much of anything because its very quiet and there are no lights on. Okay, I can stop shouting now. I hear her getting up. There she is. She's always smiling at me...but I wonder why she looks so tired. Was she awake in her crib too? Maybe she needs to be changed, or she needs some milk? I bet she can't find her soother. I'll help her go back to sleep. She always relaxes after she rocks me to sleep. I think I've spoiled her.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kristie this is written so well, what a wonderful mother you are......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I "spoiled" both my girls the same way. Don't worry, eventually both you and he will get a full night's sleep, and it will be good. Enjoy the snuggles, enjoy the cuddles. I mean it. You have many years ahead with a pimply, cracking voiced kid who wants to sleep until noon on weekends. You can sleep then!

    ReplyDelete